Supporting codebases as a developer
Always work to level up your ability to write better software: best practice software resources can help you in this quest.
Code and work
- “Do this on your first day at a remote job”
- Code calligraphy vs code scratch: very insightful article on both bad and good choices that turn out code.
- Forget technical debt, built technical wealth: write code and build codebases that are sustainable, or how to not have legacy code from your first day.
- 3 mistakes software developers must avoid: or, how to fail as a programmer.
- Just remember (and help your manager remember) that “Coders aren’t assembly line workers”
- AntiPatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis, by William J. Brown
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
- Clean Code: a Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship, by Robert C. Martin
- The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers, by Robert C. Martin
- Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming, by Peter Siebel
- Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation, by Jez Humble
- The Passionate Programmer: Creating a Remarkable Career in Software Development, by Fowler